Specification for unfired fusion welded pressure vessels
What is this Published Document about?
PD 5500 is the UK’s unfired pressure vessels code. This new edition marks the start of a new three-year publishing cycle in which an amendment will be produced each September:
• Amendment 1 is planned for September 2018
• Amendment 2 will come out in September 2019
• The final amendment, amendment 3, will be published in September 2020
Purchasers who buy PD 5500:2018 will receive the upcoming three amendments as part of their subscription to the new edition, which also brings together and repackages all of the content released during the last three-year cycle.
Who is this Published Document for?
PD 5500 is essential reading for organizations that commission, design, build
and maintain pressure vessels. It will be used by :
• Mechanical engineers
• Pressure vessel designers
• Manufacturers and inspectors in the oil and gas, petrochemicals and process plant, and energy generation (including nuclear) industries
Why should you use this Published Document?
It specifies requirements for the design, construction, inspection and testing of unfired pressure vessels made from carbon, ferritic alloy and austenitic steels, aluminium, copper, nickel and titanium making it an invaluable reference tool for the design and assessment of pressure vessels.
What’s changed since the last update?
• Major updates to Annex C, Assessment of vessels subject to fatigue, to reflect the revision of the UK’s fatigue design code BS 7608, Guide to fatigue design and assessment of steel products.
• Updates to Annex G, Recommendations for the design of local loads, thermal gradients, etc., based around recent changes introduced within theEuropean standards arena.
• A new Enquiry Case, (new EC 141) on compressive stress limits based around some new work in the European committee arena.
• References to the new Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) (2014/68/EU) have been included as well as the usual updating of all of the crossreferenced standards that appear in PD 5500.